When is the last time you scheduled routine maintenance on your home’s air conditioning system? If the answer is more than a year ago, or you can’t remember, it’s probably time to schedule a preventative maintenance visit.
Routine A/C maintenance includes several standard checks and tasks that will help ensure your central A/C operates smoothly, efficiently and safely throughout the summer. Your HVAC technician also can detect and address small problems before they develop into big, expensive ones.
Common Tasks During Routine A/C Maintenance
While not every technician will complete precisely the same tasks during every air conditioning maintenance visit, standard tasks could include the following:
- Measure refrigerant pressure and level. If low, the technician will check for refrigerant leaks since the level should remain constant during normal A/C operation. After any leaks have been repaired, he will fill the refrigerant to the correct level.
- Check and adjust the system airflow and inspect ducts for leakage and other issues.
- Check thermostat accuracy and ensure electric terminals are clean and tight, applying non-conductive coating where necessary.
- Test the electric controls and determine that both heating and cooling systems can’t operate at the same time.
- Inspect the capacitor in the outside unit.
- Inspect the evaporator and outside condenser coils and clean, if necessary.
- Check the condensate drain system for blockages so that condensate can flow smoothly away. The technician may treat the drain system with an anti-algae solution.
You can help maintain the health of your A/C unit by checking the air filter monthly and changing the filter when it gets dirty. Be sure all vents and registers are clear of furniture and other obstructions.
With routine maintenance visits and your own diligence, your A/C unit should run smoothly for years!
About Modern Mechanical and One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning: Serving Loudoun, Fairfax, Northern Virginia and the entire Washington, D.C., region with prompt, punctual, friendly, technically superior home services since 2009, including HVAC repair and replacement, diagnoses and parts, and indoor air-quality analysis. Call One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning today at (571) 421-1888 or make an appointment at www.ModernMec.com. Please stay connected with One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/modernmec to keep up with how you can help us continue to help our community and our world.
Learn more at https://modernmec.com/ or call us at (571) 421-1888